Saturday, June 2, 2007

Studying Australia, a starting point

I am starting this blog to share our summer study about Australia. My children are all half Australian and know little about their father's homeland, so we are embarking on this study as a nice change of pace and to provide them with a little more knowledge of their heritage.

We use the Principle Approach (PA), an educational method that most of us seem to have a hard time explaining. I hope the entries here may show one way the PA may be implemented in the home, although I am far from a "master teacher." In a way, what I do in my home is a PA inspired approach, but that is part of what attracted me to this approach. It seeks to equip you, the parent and teacher of your child, with the basis of a solid education so that you may effectively disciple your children.

For a more official outline of what PA is, here is an excellent summary by the Foundation for American Christian Education. For me, the heart of the PA is about:
Discipling my children, leading by example more than by words. I seek to teach as Christ Himself taught: through His example, through stories, through imagery, through symbols and through history.

Inspiring my children and breathing life into their studies. I seek above all for them to take ownership of their learning and responsibility for their lives.

Discovering the heart of the subject area. Each subject is its own method of reasoning and means of discovering more about our world. They each have their own individual principles which drive their study and proper execution.
Hopefully you will see these expressed as I post outlines of our plans each week. If you look over the summary of PA provided by FACE, you will note that the study of history involves seven principles. We have covered three of them so far: Individuality, Self Government and How the Seeds of Local Self Government are planted. Australia presents a wonderful opportunity to discover the principle of individuality. It also provides a unique counterpoint to the other principles.

With these principles as a foundation, we will be taking a look at Australian history, geography and culture. Some things which will be of help to you if you wish to join us in these studies:

These are available online to print out.

Captain Cook's Journal, chapter 8
Southland of the Holy Spirit

Also, a jar of Vegemite. (And don't substitute the easier-to-find Marmite.)

This is available at some stores. If your local world market-type store tells you we no longer import it, they are victims of an urban legend. After the FDA stopped the importation of Vegemite from the UK, a rumor went around that it was banned because of the Vitamin B content. This is not true. It was banned for improper labeling. This, however, does not effect Vegemite coming from Australia. It is widely available on the internet, but often out of stock due to the limit in supply and steady demand. Should you purchase it, don't eat it. You will think I'm nuts and likely throw it away before we get to the wonderful lesson. The stuff is horrid, but the lesson is good. I will then provide some recipes so that you may economically and tastefully dispose of the rest without feeling like you wasted your money. And, at the end of it, you may actually learn to like it. I almost hate to admit it, but I have. And so long as you have your credit card out, you may as well try some Tim Tams, Arrowroot cookies, Anzac biscuits and some other treats to satisfy your culinary curiosity. They would also make a nice end-of-unit party.

I think everything else I'm planning on using is short enough to be acquired when I post it.

No comments: